The YouView Architecture Team is a small team of experienced solution architects with strong system and software architecture experience who play a key role in the development of the YouView Platform. The team is responsible for the architecture of the overall system and collaborates with every part of the organisation to ensure that the platform evolves to meet YouView’s strategic goals.
The Architecture Team is engaged in the full development lifecycle of significant new features and contributes to product definition, feature scoping, technical design, consultancy during implementation and testing, and defect triage during trials. This requires engagement with the Product, Delivery and Development teams within YouView and those of content providers and operators of TV services that use the platform. The Architecture Team is also responsible for maintaining formal specifications that describe the system interfaces used by the development teams of our content provider and operator customers.
The components of the system are under continual improvement, and the Architecture Team provides consultancy and subject matter expertise to the various development teams as they seek to improve the system components for which they are responsible.
About the role:
As an Architect in the Architecture team, you will be expected to:
• Engage with internal and external stakeholders in the definition of new product features and functionality, refining requirements, investigating potential solutions, and driving to reach consensus on appropriate solutions to pursue.
• Ensure impact of any proposed changes are understood and agreed by relevant internal and external stakeholders, ensuring proposed solutions are viable.
• Own specific deliverables relating to new product features and functionality, including the creation and maintenance of relevant technical documentation.
• Draft detailed technical specifications for use by both internal and external stakeholders.
• Support internal and external engineering teams in the implementation and testing of new features and functionality you have defined, addressing questions, dealing with feedback, and resolving issues.
• Provide consultancy and subject matter expertise to internal and external teams responsible for the deployment, maintenance, and operation of the YouView ecosystem, ensuring that architectural designs are developed, deployed, and operated as intended, and architectural principles are upheld.
As part of the Architecture team, you will create designs and specifications for how the YouView system architecture can be evolved to support new features and functionality. This will require a coupling of keen analytical skills with a high degree of creativity.
You will have a strong software engineering background, ideally with experience in multiple programming languages and different programming paradigms. Your experience will enable you to quickly evaluate the complexity of a given problem. You will have a good understanding of the principles and practices required to analyse complex problems and to design solutions that can be developed iteratively.
You will need to apply the knowledge and expertise accrued over your career to new technical areas, and be able to quickly learn about complex topics you may not be familiar with. A thirst for knowledge and an ability to assimilate new information is essential. You will be self-motivated and take a disciplined approach to your work.
You will be working with colleagues across YouView’s entire technology function and beyond. This will require excellent communications skills, allowing you to impart complex topics in a manner that is appropriate for the audience.
This role is a good fit for someone looking to transition from hands-on software development to focus on system level architecture, or someone who has recently made such a transition. The ideal candidate will have sufficient grounding to apply their skills quickly, whilst looking to grow their knowledge and expertise further.
• Principal Architect
Essential skills and experience required:
• Software development experience/background with a good understanding of clean architecture principles
• Requirements analysis, solution investigation, solution design, and developer support
• Creating technical specifications suitable for third party implementation and independent testing
• API design
• Working across collaborative teams
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work to deadlines across multiple initiatives
• A hunger for knowledge and an ability to understand complex systems
• Ability to assimilate learning from personal experience and the experience of others
Desirable, nice to have:
• Working in TV and/or online media industry
• Appreciation and understanding of one or more of the following:
o AV media encoding and packaging
o Media delivery over IP
o Media delivery over DTT
o Content protection technologies
o Metadata curation and publication
o Consumer device implementation (boot, update, security etc.)
o Development, testing and publication of HTML applications for connected television devices
o Architectures and technologies for scalable cloud services
o Collection and analysis of usage data
- Competitive Salary on offer
- Annual Bonus
- Flexible working
- Hybrid working - 4/5 days a month ( 1 day per week) in the office
- Relaxed office environment in the City of London, near Aldgate East station
- Pension Plan
- Private Healthcare
- Holiday purchase programme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Staff Discount Scheme
YouView is an on-demand TV service with over 70 live digital channels. It seamlessly combines seven day catch¬up on BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and Demand 5 with a library of on demand television programmes, films and radio. A range of quality content is available via on demand players from Netflix, Now TV, Milkshake!, UKTV Play, STV and S4C. YouView has record, pause and rewind TV functionality as well as a simple search and more.
Our social, supportive team is made up of the brightest minds available, in a truly dynamic business with clear growth and development potential.
YouView launched in summer 2012, brought BT Sport over IP in 2013, an upgrade to 4k and the launch of Netflix in 2014, partnered with Sony to offer the UI for its TVs in 2015 and brought the first UHD device to the UK. YouView launched a major upgrade to its underlying platform in 2017 with an award-winning UI in the UK with a powerful cloud back office providing new data and insights into how consumers watch and find TV. It recently announced the launch of Amazon Prime with BT and the arrival of Sky Atlantic in early 2019.
YouView continues to innovate and is working with the BBC to trial a UHD version of BBC iPlayer. YouView has won a number of major industry awards including Advanced TV Innovation of the Year at the 2017 Content Innovation Awards and Best Platform at the annual T3 Awards and most recently winner of the National Technology Awards for TV, Film and Broadcasting Technology of the Year.
Find out more about us on our social media: Twitter, Linkedin & Glassdoor