Cloud Platform Software Engineer
At YouView, we are passionate about building a cutting-edge TV experience that UK households love. We work with a huge array of AWS services and use them to process billions of requests per day. As a business each day brings new opportunities, and we are looking for software engineers with a passion for infrastructure that can help us deliver our vision to create a world class TV experience that UK households love.
We utilise an event-driven, asynchronous architecture wherever possible. Some of the technologies we use are:
- Go, Clojure, Python
- Containers, Serverless
- ECS, CloudFormation, Lambda, Kinesis, DynamoDB, RDS, Neo4j Graph DB and many more.
- GitHub, CircleCI, Nexus
As part of an agile team, you will
- Design and build tools used by our engineers to develop, build, test and monitor our platform
- Maintain critical infrastructure components used by our engineers
- Introduce new codified policies to ensure best practices are followed
- Investigate and troubleshoot issues within our platform
- Get a chance to introduce new technologies as they become available
- Providing guidance to other engineers in relation to working within AWS
- Constantly learn new skills and techniques
- Take a quality first approach to everything you do paying particular attention to testing and testability
- Help us build and support an appealing engineering community through collaboration and having some fun
We run a “YouDay” once a sprint. It is a day where you choose what you want to work on. The only parameters are that it will either support you in your learning and development or that it will benefit the business now or in the future.
What we are looking for:
- Experience with a high-level language such as Golang or Python
- Proven experience writing and maintaining infrastructure as code (IaC) and continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) pipelines
- A keen interest in platform infrastructure
- A thirst for knowledge and a desire to make things better
You may also have:
- An understanding of monitoring and debugging in-life issues within a distributed cloud environment
- An appreciation for testing and its importance in the software development life cycle
- Experience maintaining Linux servers in a cloud environment
- Knowledge of AWS Best Practices in relation to Security and Networking
- Competitive Salary on offer
- Annual Bonus
- Flexible working
- Hybrid working - 4 days a month ( 1 day per week) in the office
- Relaxed office environment in the City of London, near Aldgate East station
- Pension Plan
- Private Healthcare
- Holiday purchase programme
- Staff Discount Scheme
- Home Office Allowance up to £400 to ensure you have the right tools/equipment for set up at home.
- Access to Learnably with an individual training budget to support your personal development & growth.
- Cycle 2 Work Scheme - Claim £2500 towards purchasing a bike/equipment.
- Employee Assistance Programme & Mental Health First Aiders
- Generous family-friendly policies
At YouView, we are committed to creating a work environment where every colleague feels safe and comfortable being their authentic self, while also experiencing a strong sense of belonging that enables everyone to thrive.
We place great value on building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees, inspiring innovation, and helping us to realise our vision and have a positive impact on society.
YouView is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team of exceptional individuals. We are always looking to hire the absolute best talent and recognise that diversity in our experiences and backgrounds is what makes us stronger.
We do not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on their race, religion, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, marital status, neurodivergent or disability status and it is our strong belief that the more inclusive we are as a business, the better our work will be.
Please advise our team of any support you may require throughout your applicant journey.
YouView is an on-demand TV service with over 70 live digital channels. It seamlessly combines seven day catch¬up on BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and Demand 5 with a library of on demand television programmes, films and radio. A range of quality content is available via on demand players from Netflix, Now TV, Milkshake!, UKTV Play, STV and S4C. YouView has record, pause and rewind TV functionality as well as a simple search and more.
Our social, supportive team is made up of the brightest minds available, in a truly dynamic business with clear growth and development potential.
YouView launched in summer 2012, brought BT Sport over IP in 2013, an upgrade to 4k and the launch of Netflix in 2014, partnered with Sony to offer the UI for its TVs in 2015 and brought the first UHD device to the UK. YouView launched a major upgrade to its underlying platform in 2017 with an award-winning UI in the UK with a powerful cloud back office providing new data and insights into how consumers watch and find TV. It recently announced the launch of Amazon Prime with BT and the arrival of Sky Atlantic in early 2019.
YouView continues to innovate and is working with the BBC to trial a UHD version of BBC iPlayer. YouView has won a number of major industry awards including Advanced TV Innovation of the Year at the 2017 Content Innovation Awards and Best Platform at the annual T3 Awards and most recently winner of the National Technology Awards for TV, Film and Broadcasting Technology of the Year.
Find out more about us on our social media: Twitter, Linkedin & Glassdoor